From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:36:59 -0700
> No, I didn't flunk.  You did.

Lori, I know no more about  you than what you've
offered here and you know no more about me than what
I've offered you.

How we got to where we are is a combination of two
things:  life circumstances and, more importantly,
choices.

And, as I pounded into my grown kids' heads and is my
personal mantra, we have to be accountable for the
consequences of our actions and those actions include
the choices we make.

You made choices that put you in a position where you
need more money and are not finding it in the
profession you've chosen.  How that's my fault, I've
yet to comprehend.

Did you ever think
> that it was not right you
> had to sell your soul to corporate America until you
> could afford to do what
> you like?

Lori, I have worked since I was 18.  In those 30
years, I think I have, at best, had 2 years off (due
to pregnancy, surgery, and workplace disability in the
recent past--spit happens).  Do you think things are
rosy in corporate America when it comes to women?
Work as hard or harder and get paid about 1/3 less or
even more.

So yes, I have thought many times over that life is
not fair.  It is, however, how it is and how we work
to change it.

First, remember, when you publically shoot someone
here, your future employer may be watching, and you
may nullify any opportunities you otherwise had.

I am not personally responsible for the way the museum
world is.  What I have offered you as advice comes
from having been involved in this discussion group for
three years and heard many others just like you who
were equally frustrated.

Did you ever think that maybe you should
> work to change that so
> that future generations don't have to do what you
> did?

Now, that one's just a little too presumptious.  If
you would like to have an off-list conversation of
just what I've done to make it better for YOUR
generation, feel free to write.  I only hope you find
a way to donate your services with as much gusto and
as much dedication.

Just for broad frame of reference, I worked full-time,
as a single-parent, no child support, went to school
full and/or part-time (carrying a 3.65 GPA), and still
managed to volunteer about 250 hours per year in the
community.  Much of my present free time is spent in
service to others.

I know you are frustrated.  I owe you nothing.  I owe
my conscience everything and my conscience is half the
reason why there's that simple little web portal I
offered you.

There are tons of people who come here looking for
employment and a place to start.  In anticipation of
the big life change, for which I worked hard to
prepare, I amassed those links and spent Memorial Day
weekend of two years ago pulling them together to
share with those in need.

What I presented you with were the facts as they
relate to the world at present.  What you seem to have
countered with is that it's my fault it's that way.
Seems hardly fair.

Further, am I smelling another Boomer Basher?  God, I
hope not!  There are some of us in this life who are
not Yupped out and still throwbacks to that Hippie
spirit that says make this place a better one.

> I spent ten years working or volunteering in museums
> while working full
> time.  I have started my grad degree because I know
> the one with the most
> education wins.  I had excellent
> advisement....EVERYONE tried to talk me out
> of museum work including the director of my graduate
> program.  my friends
> and family said it had no return on investment
> (education $ vs. salary $).

Ok, you were given what reality looked like and you
put on the rose colored glasses.  Now that it's
hitting you in the face, the glasses have shattered,
and you're unhappy.

> Teachers used to have such low pay that only women
> went into the field
> because they could afford it only if their husbands
> made lots of money.
> They got it changed.  Starting teachers make $30K a
> year.

Lori, perhaps those teachers make $30K where you live
to start, but I find that hard to fathom.  Look at
that employment web site I sent you.  There is at
least one salary comparison tool there.  Do the
research and see what teachers make at various
geographic locations.  Salaries are not absolutes for
the profession.  What is a good salary in one area may
well not be in another due to housing and other cost
of living expenses.

If they can do
> it, so can museums.  We are providing a service,
> just like those nice folks
> in green aprons.  If we teach society, obviously
> starting with those in our
> own profession, that our service is valuable, then
> the same people who pay
> $3 for coffee and $25M on airplanes to spy on China
> will also pay decent
> salaries to museum professionals because they want
> us to keep doing what we
> do.
>
> Lori Allen
> Graduate Student,
> UMSL

Let's take this a different way.  WHY DO THEY WANT YOU
TO KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING?  How many are truly
museum afficianados?  How big is your market base?
How many of those are repeat customers?  Of those
customers, how many are willing to part with the
dollars so that you can be paid what you consider to
be a living wage?

Now, rather than to lambast me and any other who may
speak to you on this topic, perhaps your issues should
be with the government.  Maybe you should be working
hard to find allies in Congress (House and Senate) and
the Governor of your state so that funding resources
can be allocated.

Here's where you can do your research and address your
concerns:

http://thomas.loc.gov/

Like I said, if you want to do the off-list thing how
I have NOT abandoned your generation, the mailbox is
open.

=====
Indigo Nights