From:
Stuart Park <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:22:00 PST
 Andrew Reinhard wrote:

<do museums of the Far East, South America, and Africa not collect>
<antiquities from the Ancient Med?  Why or why not?>

There is a major Greek vase (and Egypt, Mesopotamia etc. etc.) collection at
Otago Museum, Gt King St, Dunedin in New Zealand's South Island.  It
includes at least one ?Attic janiform vase.  ( I was anthropologist there in
the 70s, but my classical training is minimal, so I can't be more specific.
 Classics Department staff at the University of Otago assist in the
voluntary curation of the collection).  At least some of its holdings are in
the Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum (in fact, I think there may be a volume of the
CVA which deals with Antipodean collections).

The other major collection in this part of the world is the Nicholson Museum
of the University of Sydney, in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.

There are smaller collections in the Classics Departments of the Victoria
University of Wellington and Canterbury University, Christchurch, both here
in New Zealand.  There may be other Australian collections - I don't know.

Hope this helps.  There is life outside Europe and the USA!

Stuart Park
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Wellington, New Zealand