From:
Helen Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 12:44:41 -0400
Dennis C. Kois:

You are making a number of unfair assumptions about me and frankly, I
think you are out of line in attacking me personally.  The fact that I
ended my initial post by saying, "Does anyone disagree?" invited other
points of view, which is at odds with your characterization of me.

First of all, given the nature of the gallery I run, and the fiscal
priorities of the college where I work, there is no chance that this
gallery will ever be more than a one-person operation.  If anyone came out
here to see it, that would be obvious.  Or they could call and ask
me--some job-seekers have and frankly, that makes them seem more credible
to me because they were gathering information before applying.  However,
I realize many people prefer receiving mail to phone calls.

As I stated, I send a prompt reply to all job seekers.  I would not keep
someone hanging.  I know what that feels like, and don't like it any more
than you do.  I don't know where you get the idea that were I to suddenly
have the opportunity to hire someone I would only hire someone I know
personally.  What I said was that I would feel uncomfortable passing on a
resume of someone I don't know TO someone at another institution.
Someone else on the list (much more respectfully) suggested I reconsider
this, and I am.

Helen Glazer