From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:02:32 -0500
>>> Southwest Museum Services <[log in to unmask]>
02/23/99 08:38am >>>
We're trying to come up with a cost-effective way to replicate
mud

A couple of years ago we created "ground" in a corner of our gallery for
a temporary exhibit.  We used a pre-mixed "paper mache" substance
called SculptaMold from Dick Blick, an art supply store.

We mixed it with water per the package instructions and mixed brown
and black powdered tempera paint (like kindergarteners use) in with the
mud to make it dirt colored.  The mud never came out the same color
twice, but we just figured that was natural!  We stuck leaves and
grasses in it before it hardened.  It dries very hard and the stuff you put
in it when it's wet will not come out.

We put plastic down on the carpeting in our gallery and plopped it down
wet on the plastic and then molded it and stuck the grass in.  We even
made wagon ruts in it.  It hardens fast, so we had to work fast.  It helped
to have one group of people mixing and the others molding the mud.

You can always buy a small bag of the stuff and experiment.  Wear a
paper face mask, though--it's nasty, dusty stuff to breath!  I can send
photos of the finished product if you are interested.

Chris

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, IA  52358