From:
Jeanette Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:24:11 EST
Hope you can attend.  Share with others!
-------------------
“Disaster Preparedness, Response and Recovery”
26th AIC Annual Meeting
June 1-7, 1998
Arlington, Virginia

How prepared are you to respond to the unique conditions when a disaster is
visited upon cultural property and historic structures?  What is the latest
news on what can be done to safeguard, respond, and recover our irreplaceable
cultural heritage?  What advice and resources are available to the
corporation, business or homeowner who have damaged archival records, products
or heirloom objects?  How can musuems and individual or institutional fine
arts collectors protect and restore the world’s most valuable paintings,
sculptures, documents and other important historical artifacts should an
emergency occur?

The American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC)
is devoting its 26th Annual Meeting to the significant topic of Disaster
Preparedness, Response, and Recovery.

The meeting will be held at the Crystal Gateway Marriott Hotel in Arlington,
Virginia, USA, June 1-7, 1998 with an expected attendance of over 1,000
participants.  The program will bring together a broad audience of
conservators and museum professionals.

Lynn Nicholas, author of The Rape of Europa, will kick off the program as this
year’s Keynote Speaker.  The week’s program will have two day-long sessions on
Preparedness and Response.  An interdisciplinary approach in these sessions
will include presentations from organizations such as the Federal Emergency
Management Agency (FEMA), The American Red Cross, NFPA and the Department of
Defense.  Topics presented by international experts from the United Kingdom,
Poland, Croatia, St. Croix, Canada, Argentina, and Ecuador include:
> “ICCROM’s Involvement in Risk Preparedness”
> “Cultural Heritage and Disaster Management at Regional, National, Community
and Institutional Levels”
> “The Protection of the Cultural Heritage of Croatia during the War”
> “Emergency Preparedness Planning in the Caribbean”
> “The Retrieval of Kuwait’s National Museum Collections from Iraq: An
Assessment of the Operation and Lessons Learned”
> “La Experiencia de Quito: Response and Recovery after the 1987 Earthquake”
and more!

The balance of the week will focus on the theme of Recovery - the treatment of
cultural materials after a disaster event -   in sessions conducted by AIC
specialty groups (Objects, Paintings, Textiles, Books & Paper, Wooden
Artifacts, Architecture, Photographic Materials, Research & Technical Studies,
and Conservators in Private Practice).

Other meeting offerings include:
> Workshops and poster sessions, including table-top demonstrations, on the
topics of fire suppression and detection systems, the salvage of cultural
materials from a staged real fire, and how to perform triage on cultural
material at an on-site drill at a museum.
> Conservation suppliers, insurance providers, and companies providing
disaster
response services in the Exhibit Hall, June 3-6, to answer questions about
their
products and services.
> Tours and workshops held at museums and sites throughout the Washington DC
metro area.

Any individual or institution with an interest in preserving valuable personal
and
professional property and learning how to prepare for and respond to disasters
and
emergencies is encouraged to attend!

For registration materials, information about becoming an exhibitor or
advertising in
meeting materials, or other questions about the Annual Meeting, please contact
the AIC office:

American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC)
1717 K Street, NW
Suite 301
Washington, DC  20006
phone: (202) 452-9545
fax: (202) 452-9328
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Internet: http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/aic/

---------
Contact: Jeanette Spencer, Marketing Manager
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC)
Phone: (202) 452-9545
E-mail: [log in to unmask]