From:
Art Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:20:17 -0600
It might help clarify the position held by most scientists to quote
Richard Dickerson (1991, The Game of Science. Journal of Molecular
Evolution 34:277-279, as quoted in Scott, E. C. 2004. Evolution vs.
Creationism, An Introduction. Greenwood Press, Westport, CN).

"Science, fundamentally, is a game. It is a game with one overriding and
defining rule:

Rule No. 1: Let us see how far and to what extent we can explain the
behavior of the physical and material universe in terms of purely
physical and material causes, without evoking the supernatural."

He goes on to say, "Calling down special-purpose miracles as
explanations constitutes a form of intellectual 'cheating.'"

In other words, whether you're talking about playing baseball or chess
or doing science, you're governed by the rules of the game.  ID cheats!

Cheers,

Art Harris

Laboratory for Environmental Biology, Centennial Museum
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX  79968-0915
[log in to unmask]   http://museum.utep.edu/
http://museum.utep.edu/chih/chihdes.htm