From:
David Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 00:31:43 +0100
I use it myself for snippets of information.

Wimbledon Museum use it on an ageing 286 (in the DOS version) for a
simple database. There are a number of interesting areas - like dates
from pre 1900 and the fact that you need to pad an accession number with
leading zeros to get it to sort and that sorting into an order (eg
accession number) takes forever for large numbers of records.

However, as you say, it is a good and flexible text retrieval package.

In article <[log in to unmask]>, Martin Taureg
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>While I've only been on this list for some weeks now, I've noticed postings
>regarding database software for museums coming up every now and then. So I
>suppose it's an on-going thread.
>
>I would like to know whether there is anybody on this list having used a
>British information management software called IDEALIST for museum purposes.
>
>So far, I have only used it to manage addresses and bibliographic
>references, but it seems to be a quite powerful mix of database and text
>retrieval capabilities.
>
>Some features I find useful are:
>-       A database may have records with differing field structure.
>-       A record may include several occurences of the same field.
>-       Records can hold several pages of text.
>-       You can search the entire database, or just particular fields.
>
>IDEALIST has been developed by Blackwell Science Ltd, a publisher in Oxford
> (http://www.blacksci.co.uk); product info at
>http://www.blackwell-science.com/PRODUCTS/IDEALIST/ABOUTIDE.HTM), and is
>distributed by BEKON (e-mail: [log in to unmask]), a company in
>Stockport, Cheshire. There are 16-bit and 32-bit Windows versions; there
>used to be a version for the Mac, as well, but I am not sure if it's still
>available.
>

>Martin Taureg
>Photo Archives Programme Coordinator /
>Coordinateur du Programme des Archives Photographiques
>
>PROGRAMME DES MUSEES DE L'AFRIQUE DE L'OUEST /
>WEST AFRICAN MUSEUMS PROGRAMME (WAMP)
>140, Rue Moussi Diop
>B. P. 357
>Dakar, SENEGAL
>
>Phone / Tiliphone:          (++221) 22 50 57
>Fax / Tilicopie:            (++221) 22 12 33
>E-mail / Courrier ilectronique:       [log in to unmask]

David Dawson                    email: [log in to unmask]
Outreach Manager, Museum Documentation Association
67 Spring Street, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, OX7 5NN : telephone 01608
645576
From 26 Sept address will be - 1 Hitchman Drive, Chipping Norton, OX7 5BG

MAIN MDA OFFICE - Jupiter House, Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2JD
Tel: (+44) 1223 315760 Fax: (+44) 1223 362521
MDA WEB SITE - http://www.open.gov.uk/mdocassn/index.htm