From:
Heidi Campbell-Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:48:34 -0400
We have one tombstone in our collection and we accepted it because, 1)it had
been removed from its original location over 50 years ago, 2) a descendent
of the person who's stone it is gave it to us, and 3) (most importantly) the
stone represented the work of a local slave stone carver whose style is
unique and identifiable. I do not plan to accept any other tombstones.

First and foremost, I think that the fact that you neither have the space
nor the resources to properly care for the stones would automatically
preclude you from taking them. Does your state have an office that handles
gravesite issues (Maryland does and if I remember correctly I think it is
within the office of the Attorney General)? Your email looks like you might
be in PA - if so you might want to contact the Pennsylvania History and
Museum Commission in Harrisburg for some advise.

Heidi Campbell-Shoaf, Curator
Historical Society of Frederick County
24 East Church Street
Frederick, Md. 21701