From:
Pat Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2015 11:08:33 -0500
This has been discussed several times on this list. One of the best
answers came from Henry Crawford:

Henry's response:
Don't remove the matches, they're an integral part of the object.  If
they're paper matches from the late 1950s or so, I don't see a need for
immediate alarm.  We have similar materials in our advertising collection.
They are likely safety matches, which were invented to prevent your biggest
fear, (I assume) accidental combustion.  Your only concern is that your storage
temperature should not be so high that combustion could occur, and for most
museums that's not a problem.  As for the sulfur, again, safety matches don't
have enough concentrated amounts to cause any harm.  If you're concerned about
sulfur gas buildup, vented storage could help prevent that if you've got lots
(and I mean LOTS) of matches, but that's pretty much all you'd need to do.
Adherence to proper storage,
temperature, and humidity standards appropriate for paper should keep the
matches safe.

Oh, and keep out of reach of children

Cheers,
HBC

Henry B. Crawford        Curator of History
[log in to unmask]      Museum of Texas Tech University
806/742-2442 Box 43191
FAX 742-1136 Lubbock, TX  79409-3191

Pat Miller

--