From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:00:12 -0500
Bethany

I don't know about Mary Baldwin College, but I am sure they have a job placement office.  Use it to your full advantage.  For an annaul fee my alma mater will send you a list of employers who have listed open, entry-level positions.  Check with other universities (especailly those offering arts degrees), they may be willing to do the same.  Join their alumni assoc. if you have to.

Also, check out AAM, the Assoc. of Midwest Museums (AMM) and RC-AAM websites - they all list open musuem jobs.  Join them if you can and any other museum organization if possible, there are tons of them, including ALFHAM (Assoc. of Living Farms and History Museums), AASLH (American Assoc. for State and Local History), MOMCC (Midwest Open-Air Museum Coordinating Council), as well as state and regional groups (AMM is a regional group, AIM (Assoc. of Indiana Museums), IAM (IL Assoc. of Museums) etc.).  All of them will have a newsletter which usually lists jobs.

I would suggest checking out musuem websites, too.  A number of them include job postings.

In the meantime stay in contact with an institution either in a part-time or volunteer capacity.  That will make it easier for you to hear about jobs, even if they are elsewhere.  Most jobs are obtained through contacts not newsletters and websites.  So if you know someone who knows somebody  at the institution with the job opening, you can increase your chances of at least getting an interview if not the job itself.

Lana Newhart-Kellen
Registrar
Conner Prairie Museum
Fishers IN