From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 08:20:49 -0400
We use Macs almost exclusively in our exhibits and off-site kiosks. Not only
does all of the software seem to run better (that is, the animation and
graphic software, not the scientific software all the time which is why we
have some PC's) but the iMac is a godsend for the exhibiting world, or so it
seems to this Museum Educator. The whole computer is in one, easy to build
for package. You don't have to build room for a CPU and a monitor and the
newest iMac can be easily swapped for the first generation machines in the
same cabinet, literally in minutes. Try that with PC's which are made by
dozens of different manufacturers and can change size and shape yearly. We
have even swapped in staff desk top machines when no other was available for
a special event or if one of the exhibit machines needed work. I even met a
vendor at last Fall's ASTC meeting who, in addition to selling his custom
visitor evaluation software, made computer stations that had a hole and hook
ups into which you could drop any iMac and run it from keyboards, trackball,
and button which were built into the kiosk/desk. Plug and play indeed. Those
of us with our own exhibit fabrication departments or a carpenter or cabinet
maker on staff may find the cost a bit pricey, but to those who have to
contract out these jobs, large and small, the price is well below what you
would have to pay a skilled artisan or company to build one or two units.

Of course we all know that this very standardization and Apple's philosophy
toward sharing design and code has also led to the situation that less
software runs on the Mac platform. Which is why we have to buy some PC's.
(Although with the release of Apple's Unix based OS X this may slowly
change, or so a bunch of programmers assure me personally and in various
professional publications. I'll wait and see, I've heard this before.)

And don't let IT professionals snow you. Macs and PCs work very nicely on a
network. At least all the Macs do. Some of the PC configurations that some
staff brought in for their desk top use were difficult to hook up. But that
is because there is such varying levels of quality and specifications in PCs
and PC components that PC's can be difficult to network even if they are on
a PC only network. See point 1 below. I can operate and troubleshoot any
computer on our exhibit floors (some of which are more than 20 miles away
and 6,288 feet above us on the summit of Mount Washington) Mac and PC, from
a Mac in my valley office using a program called Timbuktu.

Two additions I would like to make to Emily's Post are:

1) She says that both Macs and PCs are/can be reliable. That can be true of
almost every Mac (software willing) but it is true of only SOME PC's (also
software willing). As stated before there or dozens (maybe hundreds for all
I know) PC makers out there and not all CPU's/monitors/sound cards/graphics
cards etc. are created equal. Many people and institutions settle for the
cheapest computer they can buy with a Pentium III or IV and don't look under
the hood or on the back of the CPU or get the wrong monitor with a too low
graphics card, or ... well you get the idea. My institution bought a piece
of software for an exhibit from a well known exhibit company and it only
runs on a PC and even then only with the right brand PC with just the right
sound card, just the right graphics card, etc. By the time we assemble all
this very specific hardware it will have cost us the same as 2 or 3 iMacs
depending on configuration.

2) She has a problem with the price of iMacs (currently available in America
for less than $800, but of course that is lower end of what is current) but
there are ways to reduce the costs to make them comparable to PC's of the
same capabilities. Before I mention some, let me say that these work in
America and from what I can gather (and I am not a professional) computers,
especially Apple's, are distributed by different companies or different
subsidiaries of the same company in different countries and they set their
own sales policies in that country. So I have no idea if this advice will
work in New Zealand or other parts of the world.

First, try to take advantage of education discounts. Apple has an aggressive
strategy toward the education market (through both eleemosynarian  and
pecuniary motives)  and non-profit museums can qualify. Look into it for
hardware and software. It might take a bit of leg work and letter writing,
but if you plan to buy more than two or three computers it is worth it. Of
course this strategy could work with every hardware and software developer,
but each of them would be different.

Second, work through an authorized Apple technician and/or reseller. Don't
go through mail order or the web. If you can find a local person to develop
a personal relationship with (pardon that dangling participle) you can take
advantage of a number of programs most people never hear about. You can find
these people in the unlikeliest of places. The contractor we use to build
and design our high tech exhibits is one of these guys, but he has no retail
shop nor does he repair computers for a living, so the average person would
never be ale to find him in this regard. But his status with Apple gets us
units much less than you would going through MacMall or one of the other
catalog stores.

Apple's new retail outlets will add an interesting twist to this. Anyone who
has ever begged, borrowed, or stolen donations or discounts from businesses
knows that it is easier to cajole a local store or business out of stuff
than a national or international company. One of Apple's problems, IMHO, is
that they have never been a part of our communities and have never reached
out to be neighborly. PC manufacturers have business like CompUSA, Best Buy,
etc. to do this for them (although Gateway has branched out into some of out
communities) but these companies are notorious for giving Apple short
shrift. I think we can see a change if one of these new stores opens in our
area. This will put an Apple store with Apple employees within personal
touch range. Will these new stores be a soft touch after they have been open
in our communities for a while? Will the managers feel like part of our
communities as their kids go to sports practice and band recitals with our
kids and attend our museums together. Will they cave in, as so many do, when
we wear them down with our insistent, persistent, and tireless schmoozing? I
leave it to those museums near Tyson's Corner, VA and Glendale, CA to be the
pioneers and report back.

Third, buy in bulk. Even if you only need one computer this year, I'll bet
there are a few more small museums in your area or region who  are in the
same boat. Find each other, pool your needs into one order and save money.
Even software is cheaper if you buy 10 licenses of a program rather than 10
copies of the same program. Of course, I barely understand the language in
software licenses so this may or may not pass their muster, legally
speaking. Try this at your own risk, or maybe someone else on this list
knows more than I do on the subject.

Anyway, enough said on a sunny Monday morning here in the White Mountains.
Enjoy the rest of the week and keep your eye on the holiday weekend ahead.
(For the American readers only I think. Sorry.)

--
Matthew White
Director of Museums