From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 11:53:33 -0700
1, Send them to the college library or the public library, where the
librarians are adept at teaching patrons how to do such research.

2. Send them to the nearest relevant museum or historical society.  Many
have a day or two per year where they will look at art, documents, etc.

3. I'd say avoid referring them to appraisers--the museum folks can do
that--and tell them honestly that you can't can't involved in any
financial evaluations.  That should get most of them out the door.

4. Write up a tasty handout to give them and you should end up well under
the 15 minute limit.

        You may think this sounds a bit harsh, but I have met the most
amazing timewasters--like the couple with the drawing they're convinced is
by Rembrandt: they've been hustling it around for 25 years and refuse to
accept the uniformly negative verdict.  The fellow who wanted me to back
him on his interpretation of all Italian Renaissance art as filled with
conversations in American sign language (invented in the 19th century or
so and still not in use in Italy) I had to throw out of my office.

        Adrienne DeAngelis, Mean Girl