From:
Christopher Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 21:44:21 -0700
  I saw a really Great exhibit in Kansas City recently called Treasures
of the Steamboat Arabia.  A group excavated a Steamboat which went down
on the Mississippi in 1856.  They found a large amount of artifacts --
everything from CLOTH, SILK, CHINA, TRADE GOODS, PERFUME, MEDICINES,
and bottled FRUITS and PICKLES....all in very very good condition.  The
founders of this material had the good sence to go into dept, set up
the museum, and undertake the task of preserving what they had found.
They attempted to preserve a lot of things that many of you have asked
questions about...including food (from 1856).  I was impressed with
their opperation.  They have a web site at WWW.1856.COM (I haven't seen
it yet)and INFO. LINE (816) 471-4030.
By the way they have perserved an original part of the steamboat!
And they said they have so many shoes to clean and preserve that it
would take one person 15 years working 40 hrs a week to do it.
There is MUCH more I could say about it, but you will have to see it
for yourselves.
                             Lori (just a visitor)