From:
Belinda Nickles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:34:48 -0400
I was the curator at a medium-size museum that used a
safe to store small items that were extremely valuable--
including an early baseball card featuring a member
of our city.  We had a break-in that resulted in the
loss of some of our highly collectible artifacts.
Fortunately, the safe prevented the theft of the
baseball card which was worth thousands of dollars.

How environmentally safe were the items in the safe?
The director and myself checked the safe's contents
three times a year.  We observed no deterioration
in any of the artifacts.

When I'm hired to review collection security, I
always recommend using all available methods as
long as conditions are monitored and keys, codes, or
combinations are issued only to the necessary personel.

Belinda Nickles
Museum Consultant