From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 1994 10:25:15 -0800
>Hello:
>
>I am curious about interacting on this bulletin board.  I am a teacher of
>history and english and am seeking ways to bring artifact (replicas) into
>the classroom as  a primary source, particularly (but not exclusively) from
>ancient civilizations.

I noticed your posting, the Natural History Museum of LA Co has a loan program.
Other museums in your area probably do the same (don't know where you're
at).  Here're some facts on our program:

Program Name:  Classroom Collections

Program Description:  The Classroom Collections program consists of 30
hands-on teaching collections, each comprised of approximately 200 museum
quality science specimens, historical objects, and cultural artifacts,
available for annual loan to schools and school districts throughout
Southern California.  Carefully selected for their relevance to the
elementary curriculum, the collections are designed to be housed at the
participating school or district throughout the school year for easy
accessibility to teachers and staff.

Program Audience:  Public and private schools and school districts
throughout Southern California.

Subjects/Topics Offered:  Each collection consists of representational
examples from the following 3 categories:
        Science - taxidermied mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians,
marine life, articulated skeletons, mineral and rock sets, insect mounts,
and fossils including specimens from the La Brea Pits.
        Social Studies - artifacts and models from Native American cultures
and various phases of American History including new world exploration,
colonial life, westward movement, gold rush, rancho and mission life.
        Cultural Studies - artifacts and folk crafts from various cultures
throughout the world.

Format:  Loan availability of 30 separate and equally comparable
collections.  The contents of each collection are individually protected in
their own museum-designed display case including an informational label.

When Offered:
        Traditional school year - mid September through June.

Fees:  Annual rental fee of $800.

Other Loan Programs:  See Members' Loan Service for loans to individuals.

Program Coordinator's Title and Phone #:
        Loan Programs Coordinator, 213/744-3345

Yours,

Jim Angus

---------------------------------
 A child looked up at a star which fell:
'Oh, what is that speeding light, pray tell.'
'Only another fallen ang-el
'Rushing by on its way to Hell.'

Tanith Lee

Always look under the fume hood.

Jim Angus

Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History
Molecular Systematics Laboratory
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007
(213) 744-3317