From:
Jennifer Tung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:31:45 EST5EDT
Dear Jen:

Hi!  As a fellow (fairly) recent graduate of GW's museums studies
program, and a current contract worker at a small museum, I feel
quite qualified to answer your questions.  It's great that someone is
attempting to address some of the problems and questions "new" museum
professionals have, with today's harsh economic markets.

I see by your address that you are at the Holocaust Museum.  Mail me
off list and let me know what you have been up to -- remember David's
conservation chemistry class!!?? :)

>    What I need to know, as soon as possible, is:
>    How many of you (us?) are out there?

 Count me as one.

>    Are you members of AAM or your regional association?  Are you
>    members of subcommittees under AAM or your regional association?
>    If not (for either or both questions), WHY?

I am a member of AAM and the Canadian Museums Association.  Not a
member of any subcommittees.  Never felt like I was qualified enough
or had enough work experience to contribute.

>    Have you ever been to the annual AAM conference or to your annual
>    regional conference?  If so, what did you think and what did you
>    wish had been done differently to give you the maximum benefit of
>    attending (in terms of programming, registration fees, events,
>    etc.)?

Never been.

>    If you never have been to a meeting, why haven't you
>    attended?  (I am aware of many of the reasons for not going and I
>    need even more!)

Couldn't afford the fees/was in school at the time/couldn't get time
off work (contract workers don't get benefits!)

>    What ideas might you have that would help make your regional or
>    national meeting more beneficial in terms of your concerns, needs,
>    and interests--what would make you attend?  What kinds of
>    programs do you, as an entry- or junior-level employee, want to
>    see?

Perhaps some additional continuing education courses?  Topics could
be as varied as new computer programs for collections management,
legal/ethical issues in museums, management courses, etc.  Also, some
type of "job issues" forum -- what's available, who you could talk
with, etc.  I realize that many of us attempt to network on our own
or through our programs, but some type of group to discuss problems
we've had or routes that were successful could be useful.

 >    As a part of the above question, what could be done to make
your MEMBERSHIP in either national or regional associations more
>    beneficial?

Need to think about this some more...

All suggestions you listed were excellent.  I hate to complain about
the costs of things like conferences and all because of the extremely
tight nature of AAM's budget right now.  But, I totally agree with
you that costs are prohibitive and as a result, I may be missing out
on some excellent opportunities in the States.

BTW, I managed to finish GW's program in a year and half.  Finished
the semester after you graduated, looked for jobs, got a contract at
this museum (I did an internship here).  Nothing permanent, however.
I am disillusioned, and disturbed that I spent all that money on
a graduate degree that will still not qualify me for jobs...
actually, I am applying to law school for next fall in attempts to
become more economically stable and have some sense of worthwhileness
and achievement.  Museums just haven't been providing that recently.

Hope all is well with you, good luck with this project, please email
and let me know how you are doing.  Take care.

Jennifer Tung