From:
Nesdon Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:51:53 -0800
I agree with Mr. Haberstich regarding the expansion of word meanings to the
point that they lose any specificity and usefulness. But this is obviously
not the case with the word museum. It is ironic that he has chosen to base
his argument on dictionary definitions of the term. There may be valid
arguments to oppose the trend toward increased public access and outreach,
as well as to inclusion of principally educational exhibits not based on
collections, but these arguments can not be based in the definition and
etymology of the term.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the origin of the word museum,
meaning home of the muses, refers to a "building dedicated to the pursuit of
learning or the arts". The O.E.D. further defines museum as: "A building or
portion of a building used as a repository for the preservation and
EXHIBITION of objects illustrative of antiquities, natural history, fine and
industrial art or some other particular branch of any of these subjects..."

Webster's Third New International Dictionary (notably derived from a
differing citation set) defines museum as: "An institution devoted to the
procurement, care and DISPLAY of objects of lasting interest or value."
Finally the American Heritage Dictionary (from yet another citation set!)
reads: "A place or building in which works of artistic, historical and
scientific value are cared for and EXHIBITED."

These references clearly contradict his argument that the definition of a
museum ...
>"does not
> even include public display.  While public display is a logical,
efficient,
> and convenient way to make artifacts available for study, it does not
> necessarily mean that exhibition is the essence of a museum; indeed, a
> museum, by dictionary definition, is not required to do exhibitions,
however
> logical, beneficial, and advisable they might be. "

This is clearly a false statement. By the etymology of the term (in fact
used archaically to describe libraries as well), the essence of the museum
is educational as opposed to conservational. Certainly conservation is a
vital aspect of this educational role, as is clear form the current
definitions, but he is frankly wrong to criticize educational outreach and
exhibition as somehow lesser, even inappropriate activities for a museum.