From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:23:51 -0700
Dear Candace,

Please, no "Mr. Heuman" for me.  (I can't help but look around for my
father when I hear that.  LOL!)  My previous message was merely soap box
politics . . . a personal statement about how messed up is our society.

I sympathize and, in no way, take your chosen position as whining.  It
is important for every person to take a stand with which s/he is
comfortable.  In fact, I admire your neutral stance in dealing with the
public, as that allows the artist's artwork to represent itself.  (Isn't
that what artwork is meant to do?)

I hope your museum does not experience what one college gallery in Salt
Lake City just experienced - the theft of artwork viewed by some as
offensive.  The works in question are photographs of two gay men, both
of whom performed their missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-Day Saint ("LDS" for short, a.k.a. Mormons).  Thankfully, the
police issued a statement that they will treat this theft investigation
as they would any other theft investigation; that the nature of the
artwork in question will not be a factor.  For more information, please
see:

        "New Art Exhibit Creates Controversy" (March 9)
        http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=39&sid=80032

        "SLCC art attracts more viewers - and complaints" (March 11)
        http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595048211,00.html

        "Three Photos Stolen From Gay-Missionary Art Exhibit" (March 12)

http://www.4utah.com/local_news/local_headlines/story.aspx?content_id=63
54DF19-23EB-4551-A02C-C694AC61FDC1

        "Controversial artwork stolen from school" (March 12?)
        http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Mar/03122004/utah/147033.asp

We live in a country that prides itself on a fictitious freedom for all
ideology.

[Disclaimer: The views in this message are personal and do not represent
the museum or university at which he works . . . nor the city, state or
nation in which he has chosen to live.  Sad, eh?]

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Curator of Education
Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art
Utah State University
4020 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT     84322-4020
T 435.797.0165
F 435.797.3423

Education costs money, but then so does ignorance.
Sir Charles Moser, b. 1922