From:
Margaret Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:20:49 -0500
Ashley, Sarah, et al:

The following advice is presented from someone who has been on both sides of the equation: as a young recent grad, looking for jobs all over the country, and a someone who has held nation-wide searches. (Not to say that this is right or wrong, but it's a perspective that has been where you are)...

Don't forget that cracking into different regions can be tricky for reasons other than not knowing about the job opportunities. For one thing, most regions (especially major metropolitan areas) already have LOTS of very talented, very experienced applicants. Are they more qualified than you? Not necessarily. But they are more local. It's not even necessarily a matter of networking, but simply being from an area. Local candidates are probably more familiar with the museum, its collections, its community. Perhaps they even know some of the donors or collectors in the area. A local candidate simply is likely more knowledgeable about the entire community in which the museum functions.

Another consideration is that many positions in the level that you are talking about (that is to say, not senior level positions) don't budget for relocation expenses, or travel to bring in candidates to interview. You may be willing to cover relocation costs yourself, but when the address at the top of your resume is from the other side of the country, you might be discounted because you're farther away. (Maybe it's unfair, but it's a reality.) If you are willing to cover relocation costs, be sure to mention that in your cover letter. The same is true if you know that you are moving to the area anyway (i.e., if your partner is being transferred to the new destination and you are looking to find a job there, too).

Additionally, your potential employer might be wondering how happy you will be in up and moving to a new location, especially if you have no connections to the area. Sure the thought of a new city is fun and exciting (especially some of the cities you referenced), but there might be the concern that there's nothing to keep you there, aside from the job. From an employer's perspective, they (may) pay for you to move there, they train you, but then you end up homesick and unable to fit in. Will you last in that position? Remember that a new hire is an investment for any employer, and they want to make sure that you work out.

Perhaps you might consider looking for positions that are just outside major metropolitan areas, where competition is a little less fierce, but so that you are geographically close enough to get into a city (and continue to network there). Or spend some time wherever you are now building up your resume so that you are in a better position to look elsewhere after you have some more experience. (Re: your graduate school's recognition power, after a few years, what's more important is what you have done with your degree, and less where it came from.)

Good luck!

Margaret