From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 14:46:39 -0400
The problem with EDs accepting jobs for rates that are substantially less
than the mean for the region is that all sorts of other problems begin to
accrue to the institution as a consequence of such acts. For one, EDs who
are underpaid often harbor resentments towards their boards and even towards
the institution they head. Boards at such institutions fail miserably at
their function as guarantors of fiscal integrity of the institution.
Exploitation of staff is not a way to run a museum, or any other
organization. When I consult on governance with boards I usually mention two
prime signs of mismanagement: 1) An ED who regularly works more than 35-40
hours per week (primae facae evidence of inadequate or poor allocation of
resources, 2) An ED who is paid less than is proper for the job (the theory
is that the ED is the staff person whom the board takes care of best-if s/he
is not cared for well then the rest of staff [even volunteers] will be
treated shabbily.
EDs can help the situation of underpayment by negotiating for fiscal
recognition for expanding income. In one instance I took an organization
from an annual income of $50k to an income of over $500k within an 18-month
period. Trust me, my salary reflected this growth and all my employees were
paid at the top range of salaries for our area and budget size.
There are no easy answers, but EDs need to insist on a living wage that
reflect the burdens they carry.
nburlakoff