From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:08:58 -0400
The Brooklyn Museum wrote:

"Finally, I'd rather be poor in New York than rich in Idaho, or Indiana, or
Iowa."

Now, now, now!

New York certainly is a marvelous city, but to make such sweeping
judgements about these three lovely states?  Miss Manners would not
approve!

I've lived in MAJOR metropolitan areas on both coasts of the U.S. and in
many place in between (although I won't insult the fine residents of those
places by naming cities/states in which I would rather not live) and I can
say two things that should be taken lightly as a perhaps lame attempt at
humor, and not something to inspire flames from the fine people of New
York:

1.  I would rather be poor in Iowa than rich in New York City and 2. we in
these states (if I may be so presumptuous to speak for all of us) are also
glad you'd rather be poor in New York than rich in Idaho, Indiana, or
Iowa!  :-)

Happy Friday, everyone--and keep cool (or warm--depending on which
season it is where you live!)

Chris.

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, Iowa  52358