From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:06:26 -0400
AAM Government Affairs is sending the following bulletin to members of
the Museum Advocacy Team.

*URGENT MESSAGE TO MUSEUM ADVOCACY TEAM*

From:  Ed Able, President & CEO
        April 11, 1997

Things are heating up as the NEA and NEH are coming under heavy fire from
opponents in Congress.  In a barrage of letters to their colleagues, they
are circulating the same old tired charges: that the agencies are
un-American and unconstitutional, that th ey mainly fund filth, that
government corrupts art, etc., etc.  As always, Mapplethorpe, Serrano and
Sprinkle figure prominently (no pun intended) in these letters.  The
attacks are motivated by reports that the House leadership was softening
in its opposition to the agencies.

It's necessary to respond.  We are asking museum advocates to write to
their members of Congress in both the House and the Senate.  Let them know
that the charges leveled against the agencies are baseless, and urge them
to stand firm in support of the age ncies.  Here are a few talking points:

1) The agencies are about providing access to the best our culture has to
offer to the broadest possible audience.

2) The arts and humanities are non-partisan and both agencies enjoy
support from both sides of the aisle.

3)  Only a tiny minority of grants are controversial.

4)  The agencies have helped to spread cultural activities across the nation.

5)  Their budgets should be increased, not further diminished.

Of course, any information you can impart about how your own institution
and community have benefited from the agencies would help to make your
case.  As always, it would be helpful for us to have copies of any
correspondence you send and/or receive.

If you have any questions about how to contact your members of Congress,
contact AAM Government Affairs at 202-289-9125; FAX 289-6578; email
[log in to unmask]  Remember that most members of Congress can be
contacted electronically now.  You can access a gateway to Congress
through AAM's website:  http://www.aam-us.org (it's new and improved --
check it out!).

By the way, we are working on a large variety of issues, including (for
example) tax, copyright, education, and transportation.  Please feel free
to ask us for information on developments in these fields -- and we'll be
in touch if we need you.  Thanks!

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs