From:
Marielle Fortier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:58:21 -0400
I completely agree with Russ.

We recently have packed and moved our collection to a new building.  We
already had our local EOD (Explosive Ordiance Detionation team) in our
collection space for a few live rounds, cannon balls and other items.  While
we packed our collection we found about a dozen items.  They made a prompt
visit with all of their computers, x-ray machines and sniffers and looked
through the rest of our collection.  They did stamp INERT in orange on items
they cleared.  They did take some live WWII ammo that was damaged and
corroding.  They have returned everthing else.  It also is good to befriend
the local HAZMAT team.  We had found a barometer made of wood that has
expanded and leaked the mercury out.  We contained the area, but Hazmat did
have to come in to remove the mercury and to check the air levels of our
collection storage.  We refused to let them take the object, so they cleaned
it in house using a bit of adhesive putty to pull the mercury out of some
cracks.

Please don't try any of this yourself, call the professionals!

Marielle

Marielle Fortier
Museum Registrar
Northfield, Vermont