From:
Chris Woodson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:16:49 EDT
I make about right at 22k a year, with a monthly take home in the neighborhood of $1249.  Although I can't speak for the DC area, I admit it's a tough salary to live on.  You might also factor in (for NC state employees)a mandatory withholding for retirement.  As for married vs. single...no, you can't pay someone more or less based on that but it sure as heck makes a difference in health insurance.  If it was just me, the state pays for it....tack on a wife and kids and deduct around another $100 a month for family coverage.

We're definitely a two-income family, but in all fairness, I knew this going into the history profession. I'd love to make a little more money, but I guess the best you can do is determine if this business is for you and adjust your lifestyle accordingly.  It goes without saying that, as with any profession, you have to weigh ALL the factors before taking a particular job in a particular location.....income, housing, cost of living, etc.

There's little point in taking a job, particularly an historically (no pun intended) low paying job, and complaining about the salary.  We can all wish for more pay, but I think most of us are at the mercy of a society that cares less and less about arts and humanities and more and more about math and science...and unfortunately it's people like us who suffer when yearly evaluations roll around.  K...nuff said :)

Chris Woodson
Museum Technician
Roanoke Island Festival Park/Elizabeth II state site
Manteo, NC