Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 02:50:38 -0400
I want to add an obvious suggestion from someone who is now employed and
hopefully on the right track after several years of internships,
part-time and volunteer work. If you are not getting interviews, re-work
the resume. When a stack of resumes show up on someone's desk, they will
immediately disregard the ones with inconsistant grammer (one tense
only!), unclear job descriptions, etc. I reworked mine many times and
have had at least a dozen friends and colleagues go over it with a fine
toothed combmarking out every extra comma and fluffy bit that didn't
apply. Just by rearranging some sections and placing italics or bolds in
the right places I increased my interviews greatly.  Resumes get looked
at for all of a few seconds before they are tossed or chosen to be
looked at further, alot of information should jump out in those few seconds.

If you are applying for government jobs, follow the very detailed
instructions, and use every word you can that is in the job description.
HR people look for words to be used and repeated, they don't translate.

And did I mention grammer and spelling? That cannot be emphasized
enough, I know it drives me crazy to see bad grammer, especially if
exhibit writing is part of what you want to do.

Elizabeth Walton
www.clotheslinejournal.com