From:
Leigh Denault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:46:11 -0500
        Museums, it would seem, are striding further into that murky swamp of
"contemporary history," (a genre that came into its own during the murky
period from 1914-1945). Journalists have long claimed for newspapers the
privilege of being "the rough draft of history." Is this how museums see
themselves? Or is it something more contemplative, more in the
anthropological vein, as in a sort of social fun-house mirror that does
not always reflect what the public expects to see?
        I think that the conversations on historicizing September 11th
have quite a bit to do with this thread on stem cell research. Historians,
both in academe and in the museum, have become more conscious of memory
politics and the need to begin analyzing events as "history" almost before
the events themselves have reached any kind of conclusion. Once,
historians could claim, however tongue-in-cheek, that they didn't pay
attention to anything that had happened in the last twenty-five years. It
wasn't history yet, you see.
        Is it because we have more sophisticated primary sources -
audio-visual, digital - because we can rewind and repeat the "past," or
call up the same articles again online, or instantly access thousands of
relevant sources via internet and database, that we feel secure in letting
"history" and "historical analysis" creep into moments that have only just
ceased to be the present?
        I do not intend to put down modern methods of analysis, but truly
wondered what museum professionals felt about the idea of presenting
contemporary issues in the context of a history museum. I think that the
same question applies to a science museum, which after all is to some
extent dealing with the history of science, in addition to the mechanics
of how scientists think and experiment.
        Science museums and history museums may seem to differ at face
value, in that history museums focus on interpreting events while science
museums present facts about the world around us. However, the presentation
of those facts, as any scientists will say, is definitely a matter of
interpretation. And in a situation in which the exhibit subject is one of
significant debate, be it the history of Roe vs. Wade or the scientific
applications of stem cell research, both museums have similar choices to
make concerning interpretation, analysis, and presentation.

Leigh T. Denault