From:
Lee Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:41:50 -0700
  Hi Kim!
  We have recently acquired the ability to scan (and print) photos for our patrons.  We charge $15 for "quick scans" at 72 dpi, $25 for 300 dpi scans, and $30 for 600 dpi scans.  Most scans require zip disks for storage (especially if they are at higher resolution, or are in color, or both), and we charge the patron $20 per zip disk, unless they wish to supply us with one of their own.
  I don't really know of any downsides, per se, but there are some things you might want to consider.  Our policy is that, besides scaling the image to the patron's request (ie 5x7, 8x10, etc...), we will not manipulate the image in any way.  This means that we don't sharpen, despeckle, or digitally repair the images.  The reason is that we feel that such manipulations would violate our mandate to preserve history as it exists.  Internally, however, we do manipulate images for exhibit and education purposes.
  In addition, you'll want to spend some time and effort looking into watermarking your photos to attempt to maintain control of the images.

  If I can help you out any further, please let me know.

Lee N. Pierce
Curatorial Assistant
Arizona Historical Society, Central Division
480-929-0292 x 173
(fax) 480-929-9973
http://www.tempe.gov/ahs

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/25/02 01:57PM >>>
Hi all,

Our librian/archivist is exploring the possibility of
scanning photographs for patrons instead of having our
photographer copy them (unless the patron needs a hard
copy).  Once they were scanned initially, they could
be stored for future copying without stressing the
original more.  Does anyone else out there do this?
If so, what do you charge per scan/image?  Are there
any pros/cons you've encountered?

Thanks,
Kim Kenney
Curator