From:
wanda bershen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:03:04 -0500
Dear Moderator

These messages arrive with a huge amount of "nonsense" text (computer
code???).

can you do anything to clean it up??

thanks
W Bershen

At 12:00 AM 1/27/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>There are 23 messages totalling 3236 lines in this issue.
>
>Topics of the day:
>
>  1. Iraqi Artists Poisoned By Arsenic * Google Tracks Ramses * Rouge
>     Redemption * Colourful Croakers * Parched Australians * Thinker Theft *
>     Poe Toasters * The Enemy Within * Polite Thievery
>  2. abolitionist decorative arts (2)
>  3. 1820s Housekeeping (6)
>  4. Raku pottery and adhesive putty (4)
>  5. Movie nights
>  6. OCR software
>  7. Free to Good Home (off-set printing press)
>  8. Past Perfect & library capabilities (2)
>  9. MuseumClasses.org - New Online Security & Care of Textiles Courses open
>     soon - spaces open
> 10. Fabergé and The Franklin Mint
> 11. Conservation Funding Workshop
> 12. Audio devices in exhibits
> 13. ILAM - Instituto Latinoamericano de Museos

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).

> [...]
>	font-size:12.0pt;
>	font-family:"Bookman Old Style";}
>a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
>	{color:blue;
>	text-decoration:underline;}
>a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
>	{color:purple;
>	text-decoration:underline;}
>span.EmailStyle17
>	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
>	font-family:"Bookman Old Style";
>	color:windowtext;
>	font-weight:normal;
>	font-style:normal;
>	text-decoration:none none;}
>@page Section1
>	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
>	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
>div.Section1
>	{page:Section1;}
>-->
>
></head>

>style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>We are working on an exhibit marking the =
>150<sup>th</sup>
>Anniversary of the Dred Scott decision. To better illustrate what is =
>primarily
>a paper-based event I want to incorporate a couple of three dimensional =
>items
>relating to abolition. I know Rex Stark has a large private collection =
>of
>ceramics with this theme. Does anyone have contact information for him? =
>Is
>anyone aware of other pieces that may be in museum collections around =
>the DC, <st1:City
>w:st=3D"on">Baltimore</st1:City>, <st1:City w:st=3D"on"><st1:place =
>w:st=3D"on">Harrisburg</st1:place></st1:City>

>style=3D'font-size:
>12.0pt;font-family:"Century Gothic"'>Heidi Campbell-Shoaf, =
>Curator</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

>style=3D'font-size:
>12.0pt;font-family:"Century Gothic"'>Historical Society of <st1:place =
>w:st=3D"on"><st1:PlaceName
> w:st=3D"on">Frederick</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName =
>w:st=3D"on">County</st1:PlaceName></st1:place></span></font><o:p></o:p></=
>p>

>w:st=3D"on"><font size=3D3
>  face=3D"Century Gothic"><span =
>style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Century Gothic"'>24
>  East Church =
>Street</span></font></st1:address></st1:Street><o:p></o:p></p>

>size=3D3
>  face=3D"Century Gothic"><span =
>style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Century =
>Gothic"'>Frederick</span></font></st1:City><font
> face=3D"Century Gothic"><span style=3D'font-family:"Century Gothic"'>, =
><st1:State
> w:st=3D"on">Md.</st1:State> <st1:PostalCode =
>w:st=3D"on">21701</st1:PostalCode></span></font></st1:place><o:p></o:p></=
>p>

>style=3D'font-size:
>12.0pt;font-family:"Century =
>Gothic"'>www.hsfcinfo.org</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>Important Subscriber Information:
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).
Museum-L" (without the quotes).

>------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C74127.B9068250--
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:46:30 -0500
>From:    Anna Huntley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 1820s Housekeeping
>
>------=_Part_48976_12153634.1169819190047
>
>Hello List!
>

>I am a Museum Studies graduate student working on my thesis project, an
>interpretive plan for an 1820s house in Milford, NY.  I am wondering if
>there are any good sources for information on housekeeping and cleaning
>during this time period.  The house is devoid of any plexi-glass barriers or
>velvet ropes, and the goal is to create as an immersive environment as
>possible, so I'm interested in finding sources that deal with hygiene, house
>cleaning, the nitty-gritty, etc.  I already have several genre paintings
>that are being used as a source, but I'd like something text based if
>possible to include in the reader/workbook for interpreters.  I realize that
>this time period is a bit tricky to research, but any ideas, suggestions,
>etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks so much
>

>~Anna Huntley
>
>--
>Anna Hope Huntley
>Cooperstown Graduate Program
>Museum Studies Masters Candidate
>PO Box 202 Fly Creek, NY  13337
>(920) 602-1800

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).

>------=_Part_48976_12153634.1169819190047

Roman">Hello List!</font></p>
Roman">&nbsp;</font></p>
Roman">I am a Museum Studies graduate student working on my thesis project,
an interpretive plan for an 1820s house in Milford, NY.<span
style="mso-spacerun: yes">
>&nbsp; </span>I am wondering if there are any good sources for information
on housekeeping and cleaning during this time period.<span
style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>The house is devoid of any
plexi-glass barriers or velvet ropes, and the goal is to create as an
immersive environment as possible, so I'm interested in finding sources
that deal with hygiene, house cleaning, the nitty-gritty, etc.
paintings that are being used as a source, but I'd like something text
based if possible to include in the reader/workbook for interpreters.<span
style="mso-spacerun: yes">
>&nbsp; I realize that this time period is a bit tricky to research, but
would be greatly appreciated. </font></div>
Roman">Thanks so much</font></div>
Roman">&nbsp;</font></p>
Graduate Program<br>Museum Studies Masters Candidate<br>PO Box 202 Fly
Creek, NY&nbsp;&nbsp;13337
> [...]
>days a week : women and domestic service in industrializing America by
>David M. Katzman.  It's a well-researched book and the bibliography should
>have some listings for pamphlets and what have you regarding housekeeping.
> I know I found some articles, too, that cited such pamphlets, so if
>you're interested in my bibliography for my paper, I can send it your way.
> Just let me know.
>
>Hope that helps,
>
>Emily Rosolowski
>

>> Hello List!
>>

>> I am a Museum Studies graduate student working on my thesis project, an
>> interpretive plan for an 1820s house in Milford, NY.  I am wondering if
>> there are any good sources for information on housekeeping and cleaning
>> during this time period.  The house is devoid of any plexi-glass barriers
>> or
>> velvet ropes, and the goal is to create as an immersive environment as
>> possible, so I'm interested in finding sources that deal with hygiene,
>> house
>> cleaning, the nitty-gritty, etc.  I already have several genre paintings
>> that are being used as a source, but I'd like something text based if
>> possible to include in the reader/workbook for interpreters.  I realize
>> that
>> this time period is a bit tricky to research, but any ideas, suggestions,
>> etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks so much
>>

>> ~Anna Huntley
>>
>> --
>> Anna Hope Huntley
>> Cooperstown Graduate Program
>> Museum Studies Masters Candidate
>> PO Box 202 Fly Creek, NY  13337
>> (920) 602-1800

>> Important Subscriber Information:
>>
>> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed
>> information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail
>> message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
>> read "help" (without the quotes).
>>
>> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to
>> [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read
>> "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).

>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:23:44 -0500
>From:    Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: abolitionist decorative arts

>------=_NextPart_000_0054_01C74134.0EE54600
>
>Heidi, there's an amazing quilt...I know it's here on the eastern seaboard
>somewhere...it was cut in two by the family and when the sections were
>reunited it was found to have the classic abolitionist image of the slave in
>chains in the center.  Even a photo would be good, if you can't borrow the
>real thing.
>Perhaps someone can remember where it is.  I do believe it is Quaker in

Housewife</EM>, a great resource.&nbsp; It is referenced often here at Old
Sturbridge Village.&nbsp; She probably&nbsp;wrote it during her first year
of marriage in&nbsp;the late 1820's.&nbsp; You can purchase&nbsp;one
online&nbsp;in the bookstore at <A
href="http://www.osv.org">www.osv.org</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR></P>
><P>Sincerely,</P>
><P>Kathleen Kime, Education Coordinator<BR></P></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT:
#a0c6e5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px;
FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,sans-serif">
><HR color=#a0c6e5 SIZE=1>
>
><DIV></DIV>From:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>Anna Huntley
&lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;</I><BR>Reply-To:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>Museum
discussion list
&lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;</I><BR>To:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>[log in to unmask]
EASE.LSOFT.COM</I><BR>Subject:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>[MUSEUM-L] 1820s
Housekeeping</I><BR>Date:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:46:30
-0500</I><BR>
><DIV></DIV><BR>
><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New
Roman">Hello List!</FONT></P>
><DIV></DIV>
><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New
Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New
Roman">I am a Museum Studies graduate student working on my thesis project,
an interpretive plan for an 1820s house in Milford, NY.<SPAN> </DIV>&nbsp;
</SPAN>I am wondering if there are any good sources for information on
housekeeping and cleaning during this time period.<SPAN>&nbsp; </SPAN>The
house is devoid of any plexi-glass barriers or velvet ropes, and the goal
is to create as an immersive environment as possible, so I'm interested in
finding sources that deal with hygiene, house cleaning, the nitty-gritty, etc.
><DIV></DIV><SPAN>&nbsp; </SPAN>I already have several genre paintings that
are being used as a source, but I'd like something text based if possible
to include in the reader/workbook for interpreters.<SPAN>
><DIV></DIV>&nbsp; I realize that this time period is a bit tricky to
research, but a</SPAN></FONT><FONT face="Times New Roman">ny ideas,
suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. </FONT>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New
Roman">Thanks so much</FONT></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New
Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
><DIV></DIV>
><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New
Roman">~Anna Huntley</FONT></P><BR>-- <BR>Anna Hope Huntley<BR>Cooperstown
Graduate Program<BR>Museum Studies Masters Candidate<BR>PO Box 202 Fly
Creek, NY&nbsp;&nbsp;13337
><DIV></DIV><BR>(920) 602-1800
><DIV></DIV>=========================================================
><DIV></DIV>Important Subscriber Information:
><DIV></DIV>
><P>
><DIV></DIV>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).
><DIV></DIV>
><P>
><DIV></DIV>If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail
read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).
><DIV></DIV>
href="http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2737??PS=47575" target="_top">Invite your
Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces</a>
>Important Subscriber Information:
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).
Museum-L" (without the quotes).

>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:23:48 -0500
>From:    Heidi Campbell-Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: 1820s Housekeeping

>------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C74134.115B4F10
>
>Anna,
>

>The Frugal Housewife by Lydia Maria Child was published in 1829 and is
>available in reprint. Also, the Workwoman's Guide, though a little later
>(1838) is useful. I would also check out period cookbooks, a great many
>include receipts and methods for cleaning various things from cloth to
>metal, as well as home remedies for ailments from minor to serious - many of
>these have been reprinted as well.
>

>Heidi Campbell-Shoaf, Curator
>
>Historical Society of Frederick County
>
>24 East Church Street
>
>Frederick, Md. 21701
>
>www.hsfcinfo.org
>
>  _____

HEIGHT:=20=
>100%">
>      <DIV><A=20
>      href=3D"http://www.raku-yaki.or.jp/index-e.html">http://www.raku-yaki.=
>or.jp/index-e.html</A></DIV>
>      <DIV>perhaps the Raku museum in Japan would help</DIV>
>      <DIV>their site is in English and has to link to contact them</DIV>
>      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
>      <DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DPapyrus color=3D#004080 size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"=
>SCRIPT"=20
>      PTSIZE=3D"10"><B>Best wishes, Barbara Hass, retired=20
>      librarian</B></FONT></DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></BODY=
>></HTML>
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>Important Subscriber Information:
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).
Museum-L" (without the quotes).

>-------------------------------1169846260--
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:14:48 -0500
>From:    Fay Swann <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Audio devices in exhibits
>
>It may not be low-cost enough for you, but we're really liking the cell
>phone audio tours that we've done. Visitors use their cell phone to call =
>number and enter a prompt for each item. Recording is as easy as setting
>your voice mail.
>
>I'm not sure what the rules say about posting business names, but if you
>want to email me about it you are welcome to.
>
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).