From:
MCDevinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 19:00:50 -0400
Eric

I do remember those cartoons well - as
i was working for a company called "GO" at the time and our system,
"PenPoint" was so much better then the Newton - sigh, GO and PenPoint no
longer exist.

To those who asked what a newton was - its the one pen based computer that
survived (and was the worst one of the lot, but thats what name
recogination will do for you).

The Newton's today are not bad - the whole concept is great - a handheld
computer that you can write on with a pen!  Talk about eliminating wasted
effort - sales people can do their work in the feild, not take notes and
do data entry later, in a lab setting you can take data and enter it as
you go, as a student I used my EO440 (similar machine) to take notes in
class & at the library, then I had them in the computer without typing.  I
love the idea of using Newton's in museums for tours & to help collect
data.

Now the differences between a Newton & a Mac - first the size, a Newton is
handheld, about 9"x 5" x 2" (a rough guess as I don't own one)  you can
write on the screen with a pen, I believe the Newton is a touch screen
(the ones I worked on where a radio pen) so you use a stylus not a balting
to text.  There is no keyboard.  I believe you can network your Newton to
your Mac but don't know how - might be with cables, might be a modem
connection.

Hope I have not confused too many people.

Chrissie Devinney