From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:13:17 -0600
Hello Christi,

I apologize that my response was received as patronizing and 'holier
than thou'.  I assure you that was not my intention; I hoped my message
would be viewed as honest and straightforward.

The question asked is very broad.  So, I posed questions that would draw
out the details.  If the question is intended for museums in the a
particular locale, someone in that particular locale might be able to
provide specific answers about fundraising, media and networking
opportunities.

If the question is intended for art museums, odds are the fundraising,
media and networking opportunities will be different than for history,
science, and other varieties of museums.  While Getty or NEA grants are
suitable for art museums, a science museum will likely apply for a grant
sponsored by the National Science Foundation, a pharmaceutical company,
or hospital/HMO.

As for media:  A midwestern art museum is unlikely to advertise in Art
News, The New York Times, or The Washington Post. . . though, for a
major 'blockbuster', one never knows.  Likewise, a museum in New York
City is not likely to advertise in the Des Moines Register, Lincoln
Journal-Star, or Omaha World-Herald.  A small children's museum will
likely limit itself to local media, whereas The Children's Museum in
Boston likely advertises nationally.

As for auditing a course at a local college or university: What was bad
about that suggestion?  Nobody graduates from university knowing
everything.  There's nothing inappropriate about a professional auditing
a college course on a subject with which they have less experience or
knowledge.  There's nothing shameful about attending a career-specific
conference, seminar or symposium.

I hope I've managed to avoid putting my foot in a pile of doo-doo again?

Sincerely,
Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum