From:
Jay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 1996 10:02:17 -0400
Julia,

Your point about earned income in a non-profit situation is a good one.  We
receive approximately 45% of our yearly budget from a county mill levy.  We
do not charge admission and therefore struggle to make ends meet as our
endowment is not particularly large.

Though we have not established a written policy to date, we are experimenting
with minimal charges for events and programs that require some expenditure
(i.e. materials, massive staff time, paid expenses for outside speakers,
etc.)  Our visitors do not seem, at this point anyway, to mind paying minimal
charges when they know that we have incurred expenses.  For instance, we
offer a make-n-take workshop for kids at least once a month.  We instituted a
$1.00 charge for materials about three months ago and the program not only
survived--but prospered!!!

I think the whole key for non-profits is to think in terms of producing
quality experiences for visitors.  People will pay for quality and they will
not complain if they know and understand why they need to pay a charge for
certain programs but not others.

Hope this sparks some discussion---

Jay Smith
Executive Director
Reno County Museum
Hutchinson, Kansas

--The opinions expressed are my own and may not reflect that of the folks who
make certain that I get a paycheck--