From:
Jason W Onerheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 12:56:02 CDT
I find the best way to teach kids photography (< 8th grade) is to do a
quick technical lesson (this button does this, etc.) then have them go out
and take pictures themselves.  Polaroids are best obviously, but disposible
cameras work too.  Then compare their pictures with historical photographs.
 With the older kids you can be a bit more complicated, I would suggest a
quick slide show and maybe some reading (Berger's "Ways of Seeing" etc.),
then go shooting.  Definately assign projects for the picture taking
outings.  Things that have worked in the past are, fortune cookies (take
photos related to the message inside), person place and thing...  You can
also assign a photographer to the older kids, have them research them and
then make the best "copies" of that photographers pictures possible.

Of course this can get expensive, perhaps ask a local camera shop for
equipment donations, or ask the parents for cash of the class.  Maybe
include the camera and processing in the cost of the class.

I find that kids rarely pay attention to purely printed or slide materials
without some sort of activity included like picture taking or a treasure
hunt, even up to grade 10 or so.  If anyone has any ideas about this
problem let me know.

Jason Onerheim
Minneapolis Institute of Arts