From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:15:53 -0800
We are developing an interactive, touch screen based map in our new Cats
exhibit.  We'll use Macromind Director to show the contraction of the
ranges of various species of cats over time.  It's relatively easy to do.
Use a static map, and overlays which show the historic and present ranges.
Software is available which can create intermediates of the ranges and
director can present them as a smooth flow of information.  The visitor
will select a cat species, a map will come up with the historic range
shown.  Then the historic range will gradually shrink down to the current
range.  That should definately make the point quickly and clearly.

We have a UCLA student working on the maps and graphics.  The programming
is pretty simple.  The equipment is also straight forward.  Computer,
touchscreen, and large video monitor (and any cables and converters).

Jim

>          At the California Academy of Sciences we are looking at ways
>          to make our African Hall more engaging and informative.  One
>          plan we have is to use interpretive maps which are tactile
>          or otherwise interactive.  I have seen pictures of the maps
>          used in the Chicago Field Museum.  Does anyone else know of
>          great maps out there?
>
>          Can anyone suggest ways to find/buy/build/otherwise obtain
>          these maps?
>
>          Thanks for your time.
>
>          Kellyx Nelson
>          California Academy of Sciences

Jim Angus
Information Technology and Hypermedia Programs
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

voice:  213/744-3317
fax:    213/746-2999