From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:35:57 -0500
We definitely limit photography, but we do still allow it under specific
circumstances(only non-flash). Everyone signs a waiver, which clearly
states their/our rights. I would prefer a ban, but I am over ruled.

Our policy is entirely(95%) for copyright reasons, being the more dangerous
of the two for your institution. Camera flashes are certainly intense, and
they do contain UV emissions, but they average between 1/100th and 1/1000th
of a second of exposure, requiring a hell of a lot of them to combine for a
single second of exposure. Standard tungsten photo lamps used by
photographers are far worse in terms of all three elements, and neither is
worse than a full second of unfiltered direct sunlight. None the less, it
is still a good excuse to give to the public.

I know there are some statistical and scientific studies out there on this
topic, but my searches are coming up empty. Anyone else?

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Teresa Whitt
             Sent by: Museum                                            To
             discussion list           [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]                                          cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: visitor photography in museums
             06/01/2004 04:01
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I have a general question in response to this thread... are most museums
blocking visitor photography for copyright reasons or archival?  My museum
allows visitors to order and purchase copies of photographs in the
collection for specified reasons (i.e. research, etc.), and also allows
photocopying of archival material for researchers.  I am curious as to the
prevalent reasons for limiting photography today... preservation vs.
copyright.  I am also interested in this subject as my museum is
fast-approaching an annual review, and this would be a relevant topic to
discuss.  Any thoughts are welcome.

One final note- the majority of museums I have visited limit or ban the use
of photography and/or recording devices.
Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).