Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:41:50 GMT
In article
<[log in to unmask]>, Margaret
Bullock <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Our museum is considering using Embark, a collections cataloging program
>for Macintosh. We've been told it's the "Cadillac" of such programs
>available for Mac machines. Could anyone who is familiar with the program
>let me know how you like it, any bugs you've encountered etc.? Thanks.
>
>Margaret Bullock
>Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts

Hi.  We have started to use Embark for the purpose of cataloguing our
slide collection, as well as providing the students a way to view images
for tests.  We are only in the beginning of this process, but I have some
opinions on the program.  I find it very extensive, and quite useful.  It
is definitely geared more towards museums, rather than a college such as
where I work.  It contains a kiosk program which you can place in the
lobby of your museum.  It allows the visitor to gain access to your
collection and history of the museum, without being able to get into the
actual program.

As for the bugs, we have run into a few so far.  Ideally, Embark needs 32
Megs of RAM.  I would suggest even more.  Even with 32 Megs, our program
regularly crashes.  I would recommend getting the program only if you can
provide a computer that well surpasses the minimum memory requirements.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you would like anymore help.

Arthur Fleischmann
Fairfield University
http://funrsc.fairfield.edu/~8_mapuzz/art/homepage/