From:
Kelli Bacon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:07:53 -0600
We are about to begin re-cataloging a large amount of archeological stone.
The stone is made of jasper & appears to be fragile.  When originally
cataloged, many objects were lotted together under one catalog number and
put in one plastic bag, but when they did this, they did not size grade
anything so large pieces are mixed with small pieces.  This is a concern
because we are afraid that pieces are being broken making it difficult to
tell worked areas from broken ones, not to mention that it makes the number
of objects go up.  It appears that every object has been labelled, except
for the very small ones.  As we go through this collection and re-catalog
it, we are wondering about the best way to store these items without taking
up huge amounts of time.  Does anyone have any ideas?  If you need more
information, I would be happy to talk about it.  Thanks in advance for any