From:
Amalyah Keshet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 15:25:16 PST
On Mon, 4 Mar 1996 16:50:01 GMT  Claudia Nicholson wrote:
>Perhaps it is wierd to be following up to my own post, but here goes.
>
>Now that we have had some discussions about licensing our images to CD-
>ROM, we would like to develop some policy.  One big question is how much
>we should charge for the right to use our stuff in CD-ROM programs?  (We
>currently charge $50/image for out-of-staters [SD is nothing if not pro-
>vincial!] and $10/image for in-staters, for profits for use in public-
>ations.)  Should we charge more, or less, for CD imaging?
>
>And, what about use in videotapes--either for broadcast or for home use?
>
>Anybody have any ideas???
>
>Thanks.
>
>Claudia

>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (Claudia
>Nicholson) says:
>>
>>Does anyone have any practical experience in licensing images from
their
>>collections for use in a CD-ROM format?  I have the "Sample CD-ROM
>>Licensing Agreements for Museums" from Muse, but I would like to hear
>>about actual experiences.
>>
>>What are the pitfalls of participating in these type of projects?  What
>>are the opportunities?
>>

>>Claudia Nicholson
>>Curator of Collections
>>South Dakota State Historical Society, Pierre

$60 is the price we've found CD-ROM developers here can or will pay per
image. $10 of that is a non-refundable service fee, $50 is repro rights
--and we will probably soon change that to $20/$40. Remember: CD-ROM
projects often don't get off the ground in the end, and you can be stuck
with a lot of work for nothing.  20% discount for quantity orders is
standard in the stock photography business. Below this, it simply doesn't
 pay for us to supply. This price is for off-the-shelf stock supply; any
additional work or expenses (special photography, quantities of 4x5
transparency dupes, special search for obscure images, supply of text
beyond caption, etc) are additional.

What is the reason for your distinction between out-of-state orders and
SD orders?  $10 will barely cover the cost of the paperwork involved.

Use in videotapes: there's a BIG difference between broadcast and home
video.  Broadcast is, well, broadcast -- whereas a home video cassette is
 a physical, commercial product.  Clients will try to persuade you
otherwise (the usual trick here is the attempt to persuade us that the
video cassette is is some whay about Israel, and therefore will
"encourage tourism," and therefore we should patriotically give them the
material free.) We usually charge $75 per image. (Same 20% quantity
discount).

Broadcast fees vary tremendously: US clients have paid us as much as $300
 per image in the past, but lately the market price seems to be much
lower  lower: around $100 per image. British clients pay the
most.(Israeli  clients pay the least...)  When in doubt, use the method I
picked up from  a colleague: tell the client you are willing to accept
their "usual rate  for broadcast" -- it will often be more than you had
thought of charging.

Good luck!
Name: amalyah keshet
visual resources / the israel museum, jerusalem
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Date: 03/07/96
Time: 08:22:38