From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:49:03 -0500
Thank you to Susan E of the Seattle Art Museum and Sharon in Kentucky.  Your
support is appreciated more than I can express.  I am not looking for big
money in the museum field.  I am very realistic about that.

I was beginning to think that no one else realizes that salaries, especially
for interns, part timers, and staff in small museums, are an issue and that
we need to work together to get it changed.  It is part of the larger
problem of a society that pays sport professionals millions and teachers,
educators, museologists and others in the academic fields peanuts.  I have
friends in education who have lobbied hard to change teacher salaries.  They
have to fight daily make education and intelligence "cool" with school
children.  One of these days, I HOPE, it works, and kids grow up to want to
work in academia.  And when that happens, I hope we have salaries that make
it possible for the inner-city kids, lower-middle class kids, and small town
kids to follow their dreams.  No, I don't think they'll get to all drive
Beemers, just something that runs dependably and gets decent gas mileage
(like my 10 year old Nissan).

If you think that I am idealistic.  I am.  I don't apologize.  I am proud of
it.  It would be much easier if I wasn't, I know.

Furthermore, several have said I might nullify my chances at future
employment by posting my beliefs on this list.  Well, if you don't want
someone passionate, dedicated, idealistic and willing to work, lobby,
protest or whatever else it takes to get things changed, then I am
definitely not your person.

Very Sincerely,
Lori Allen
Graduate Student, UMSL