From:
Erica Jakubowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:23:52 EDT
Recently I started working for a non-for-profit arts organization/museum.
This is my first "job" after college.  After interning for 5 years (high
school through college) in various national and international museums,
galleries, and other arts related organizations, I came to a bold decision.
Yes, I do have a strong love and affection for museums.  Yes, I think they are
worthwhile and neccessary.  Yes, I have a very strong connection and believe
in the importance of the arts.  However, the compensation has forced me to
look elsewhere for future employment.  I will stay with my organization until
my job is completed; however, I can not afford to let valuable skills not be
compensated.  I understand that starting salaries are pathetic.  But I do not
understand that glass ceiling that exists in museums.  It is time for a young
person such as myself to move on.  I don't think any job is as fullfilling as
museum work--but I also know that I will never be able to put food on my table
and live a decent life and support the arts on the salaries of the museum
world.  I am 21 years old and I know being a curator has always been my
dream--but museums do not support our decisions.  My committment in the future
will be to serve on acquisition committees, board of trustees and be in the
membership program of many of the museums I believe in.  Do I think a museum
job is worth it?  I no longer know the answer.  At one point I attempted to
reestablish a museum studies program at my former university.  Later by my
peers I was asked "why?"  Why struggle to start a program that may not even
help students get jobs.  Many students can not afford to intern at museum,
galleries and arts organizations without pay.  The older generation of museum
workers, directors and board members should look at my generation.  My
generation is saying "NO" we can not afford to work under these conditions.
My friends in other fields with little or no internship experience make 3
times my salary right out of college.  I would love to stay in museum work, I
would love to chase after my dreams but life costs money.  Money that museums
just don't pay.  Will I feel gulity for leaving this field...yes!!!  But the
fact of the matter remains this industry will continue to lose young, firery,
aggressive people such as myself unless they begin to realize we are their
future and we deserve respect in terms of compensation.  I know many young
people that have interned at museums, galleries and such and loved it as much
as I have but have looked elsewhere for employment because they've realized
that they can do more for a museum working from the outside and giving money
that they earn to that institution.  Look around your museum and see how many
young people are working in your museum.  Then check 5 years later and see how
many of them are still working for a museum.  I will miss this
profession...but I can not afford to work in it.