From:
Terrie Nolinske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:57:36 -0500
At Chicago's Lincoln Park Zoo, there are distance learning capabilities.
Programs are aligned with Chicago Academic Standards as well as state and
national standards.  Programs are made interactive by mailing artifacts
(e.g., pelts, shells, sheddings, feathers) to the site ahead of time -- so
that the class can work in small groups, facilitated by the teacher on site
and zoo educator off site.

Some of the programs include:

Zoo Careers:  a panel of people representing various zoo careers, talking
about what they do and pre-requisites to doing that

Animal Enrichment:  enrichment in zoos means giving animals things that
stimulate their natural behaviors (e.g., knuckle bones to lions / tigers,
scents placed in exhibits, ice blocks with fish frozen inside to polar
bears);  Why is this important? What types of enrichment are used?  Who
makes these things?

and
Animal Adaptations
Predator / Prey
Animal Colors
Animal Sounds
Animal Textures

Zoo educators have presented these inclusive programs to primary, secondary
and post-secondary audiences.

Kind regards,
Terrie

Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D.