From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:04:03 -0500
Unfortunately Amanda, this there is no real answer for that question.
Abandoned Property statutes do not come into play for "found" objects, but
legally/ethically you do not really have clear title.  It is believed to be
the museum's but you can not be sure.  All my sources indicate that you
should seek legal guidance for this type of deaccession activity.

I'm sorry that I can not help more.
Tracie Evans

Tracie Evans
Collections Manager