From:
"Neidorf, Melissa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 10:43:08 -0500
TXlime says:

        It was suggested to me during a discussion last week
        that people who volunteer in museums are actually
        doing their profession a dis-service, and that while
        qualified people are willing to work for free, museums
        are never going to look for the money to employ them.
        Having been a volunteer myself, it was not something I
        had thought about...does anyone have any opinions on
        this?

There are many different types of volunteers who volunteer for just as many
different reasons. Many do it for work experience, contacts, 'testing the
water' and many others want to give something to an organisation and their
community.

I have worked as a volunteer in several places and it has lead to jobs in
those Museums and the skills I gained also helped me get work elsewhere. I
do think people should be paid well for what they do, and I also understand
the benefits of volunteering for whatever the reasons. I think it is not the
volunteers doing their profession a disservice, but organisations that take
advantage of volunteers, either directly or by not also addressing staffing
needs.
Also, at what point, if any, in your career are you "to old (by experience
etc) to volunteer!?" when still seeking paid work. Is it ever a disadvantage
to your career?

Melissa Neidorf
Associate Coordinator of Exhibitions
Museum of Jewish Heritage