From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:09:59 -0400
I have been photographing objects for databases for awhile an I far
prefer digital. It is very cheap and saves alot of time. The Olympus
cameras create beautiful pictures and use the Smartcard memory system
that just downloads into your computer. With a big card you can hold
hundreds of pictures. They start at $300 (360-L which does
beautifully)and go way up from there.  The Sony cameras use regular
floppies, but I get annoyed with constantly haveing to keep track of all
of them and it is slower. Lower end Sonys do not take as nice a picture
either, at least the Mavica I used didn't.

As for the expense, you probably do not need the highest resolutions out
there, most computer moniters do not display the full resolution of the
pictures and they will eat up memory. If the pictures are for reference
in a database just stick to the lower end and hire a photographer for
professional/publicity shots and slides when you need them. Also, you
need someone who knows how to work Photoshop if you want the pictures to
look good. It is an easy program to use (once you learn it). Other
programs offer more fluff and less practicality.

Good luck and e-mail me offline if you have more questions

Elizabeth Walton