From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 1996 15:16:00 PDT
Check the artichoke website (joke).

Artichokes (Cynara scolymus) are a thistle-like vegetable.
It was eaten and preserved by the Romans for centuries before
Christ.  However, declined in importance with the fall of the
empire.  During the reign of the Medicis in Italy, the
artichoke was reintroduced into France as a gourmet food.
The French and Spanish colonist brought the "globe artichoke"
to America.
It is a perennial that grows about 5 feet, with a 5 to 6 foot
spread. It grows best in a cool, mild climate, and is sensitive
to frost.

Sources:  Check out W.E. Spilttstoesser, "Vegetable Growing
Handbook"; John Seymour "The Self-Sufficient Gardener."

This message brought you by:  Eat more Artichokes for a more
active evening activities; and artichokes the vegatable the
museum world knows little about.  Is there an artichoke
museum!!! It's a weekend, come on!!

  At 03:00 PM 5/26/96 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm sorry to post this question on the list, but I can't seem to find any
>information on the subject.  Can anyone tell me where artichokes come
>from.  Supposedly they are related to daisys, but where do they grow,
>what type of climate, anything.  My library has a very limited number of
>books none of which have any information.
>If anyone could give me any information on these plants, or any ideas of
>where else I can look for them, another list, etc.  it would be greatly
>appreciated.  Thanks much
>

>Heidi Anderson

John Martinson
Work: Fort Walla Walla Museum