From:
Arthur Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 17:29:59 GMT
: > Would anyone like to open a discussion about the rapid growth of museum
: > websites?

I've been an enthusiastic collector of museum URLs for about a
year now and maintain a site devoted to science museums which
I opened last October. I've kept records on the number of URLs
I've been able to find which may provide a glimpse at the
growth of the museum web presence. This information can be
found at http://www.netaxs.com/people/aca3/BASEMENT.HTM which
is the basement of The Lost Museum of Sciences.

: > Perhaps those who are developing material for home pages etc as
: > well as other museum workers or devotees might like to discuss this
question
: > re  purpose/rationale.  I think it would be particularly interesting to
: > debate what is the main consideration in deciding to prepare programs for
: > the Internet - public access?  museum profile? publicity?  education?

Having followed earlier debates regarding *real* vs *virtual*
museums, I know there is some concern about virtual experiences
becomming fashionable and drawing people away from the real
museum experience. This may have funding and/or educational
consequences which no one completely understands. I believe this
is why most museum web sites stress what can be found at the
real museum rather than devote allot of resources to creation
of virtual exhibits. Personally, I'm very sympathetic to the
financial plight of real museums these days. Perhaps museum
web sites with much traffic could seek advertizing sponsors
as yahoo does?

Just a few thoughts.

                                        Many Serendipities,
                                        Arthur