From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 21:18:57 -0500
Sorry I didn't catch the beginning of this thread.  I'd like to interject
from the perspective of an art museum.  And from the perspective of art
donations as opposed to money donations or 'other' property donations.  So
- another view on donor information....

>> 1.  Which department in the museum is generally responsible for collecting
>> donor information?
The registrar's office and the development department (registrar collects
and disseminates)

>> 2.  What is the criteria for collected donor info?  (If detailed on a
>> form, what questions are asked?)
>address, phone, name as they would like to be called (Jane Doe instead of
>Mrs. Bill Doe), alternate names, date of donation, value of donation,
>donor's preferred credit line (Gift of Jane Doe in Memory of Matilda Doe)
>
>> 3.  Which department stores the information and how is it done? (ie paper
>> or computer files) Is it seperate from the other information such as Deed
>> of Gift, etc?
The registrars office stores the data in the collections database, the
development department also gets the information (development and registrar
rarely shjare a system); all legal paper documents (deed of gift, wills,
etc.), reside with the registrar in the registrars files since the
registrar registers things!  I have NEVER before heard of the development
office retaining original deeds of gift!!!  (learn something new everyday!)

>> 4.  Who has access to the (non-confidential) information?
only staff with a need to know and scholars with legitimate research
interests and then only if the donor has put no confidentiality
restrictions on the material as in the case of a really strict anonymous
donor.

Suzanne

Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar, Collections and Exhibitions
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
1071 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
212 423 3568