From:
Teresa Whitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:59:50 EDT
Dear Susan,

1) In which State does your museum operate?  (I assume we are talking about the continental United States?),

and...

2) Are there human remains involved?  This is a VERY sensitive subject, and should be handled with respect.

The answers to both of these questions will be of major importance when dealing with this collection you are considering.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you contact The Resource Center of the National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution, One Bowling Green, New York, New York 10004, Phone: 212-514-3799, Fax: 212-514-3792, Email: [log in to unmask]  The Resource Center houses and maintains several information databases, including American Indian Reserve Service, which lists contact information for federally recognized tribal councils.  They should be able to help you in the right direction.

Regards,
Teresa Whitt, Director/Curator
South Charleston Museum, South Charleston, WV