From:
Toni Kiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:27:15 -0500
Our institution recently received about 200 vinyl records that range in date from the 1930s-1980s. When we agreed to take the records from our collecting era (1930s-1940s) the donor gave us permission to dispose of anything that we didn't want. They signed a permission to dispose form that lists all the ways we can get rid of them (give to another institution, sell, throw away, etc.). Most of the records that we are not keeping for the collection are not in great shape and I don't think that they would sell well on ebay (at least not well enough to justify all the time and effort we would have to put into it).
So we would like to just throw them away...but here is our dilemma, word of these vintage records got out among the staff and people have been asking if they can have certain records (The Captain and Taneal anyone?) We do intend to toss them, but I don't want to just hand them out to employees that ask for them. I also hate to put this much stuff in the trash that someone may want and use. Should I throw them out and just let people dumpster dive? Any thoughts on an easy way to rid ourselves of them without getting caught in an ethical nightmare?
Anyone want 100 or so vinyl records from the 60s, 70s, and 80s (for your institution of course)?

Thanks for you thoughts,
Toni