From:
Christian Trabue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 01:35:26 -0500
Just to put in my two cents worth:
I visited the storage area of my local art museum for the first time just
this week.  I fell in love with it and actually found it just as interesting
as what was in the gallery portion of the museum.  Perhaps this was a
combination of "treasure hunting" as well as an educational fascination with
the objects that are rarely seen by the general public.  Studying lesser
known pieces is valuable for a variety of reasons already mentioned by Mr
Haberstich (although I realize that all of the pieces down there were not
necessarily lesser known)  However, Mr. Martinson can not be totally wrong
for being concerned with the public's view of the museum or the collection.
After all, it is true that not everyone will have the time or the ambition
to research every piece.  Therefore, it seems to me that the museum has
several roles.  First, to maintain and continue to study the information
that already exists about art and art history, and second, to provide an
educational and exciting place for visitors to come and learn.
Christian Trabue