From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:55:23 -0400
Congratulations and I wish you all the best. This topic surfaces quite regularly
on this forum. You might begin by searching under subject lines like "job
advice" or such. Also search for my post on "there is no magic bullet; there
are (almost) no jobs" and follow that thread.

Museum work is a very rewarding and a very frustrating field. While we all feel
quite dedicated to both our institutions and our visitors, we are all underpaid
and face stiff competition trying to find work.

You've already received good advice on how to make yourself stand out and
how to evaluate your chosen program. Please take seriously the post on
asking Tufts about placement rates and starting salaries. Many, many, many
universities add museum studies programs as a way to attract students, not
as a response to a wide open job market. I could go on at length on this...all
I'll say is be careful and critical. Are you going to get practical skills in addition
to theoretical ones? Will you receive training in material culture studies,
exhibition development, audience evaluation, hands-on/minds-on learning
theory and application, in addition to a couple of administration and theory
classes and a practical internship?

This training will help you get a job. A couple of classes on how to administer
a museum won't.

Good luck
Diane Gutenkauf